Paulo Coelho, born in 1947, has written more than 30 books and sold over 350 million copies. He is most famous for The Alchemist and is the largest selling Portuguese author in the world. He and his wife reside is Switzerland and he is a practicing Catholic. He founded the Paulo Coelho Institute in 1996 to provide support for the elderly and children.
Collected from his many writings, here are 10 of his most famous teachings:
1. “There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there.”
2. “Go for the impossible. I always tried to find my own limits. So far I did not find them, so my universe is in constant expansion.”
3. “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
4. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
5. “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
6. “We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It’s one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it’s another to think that yours is the only path”.
7. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better.”
8. “Everything tells me that I am about to make a wrong decision, but making mistakes is just part of life. What does the world want of me? Does it want me to take no risks, to go back to where I came from because I didn’t have the courage to say “yes” to life?”
9. “You are what you believe yourself to be.”
10. “Life is too short, or too long, for me to allow myself the luxury of living it so badly.”
Sign up to receive the best articles, expert tips and recipes from Mindfulness Green...
PLUS get your free guide to peace of mind: